Nobody said transforming the role of the PMO would be easy. You’re not only tasked with delivering programs and projects on time and within budget but also promised value with limited capacity. Worse, the PMO sits between annual planning activities and stakeholders who want to move faster than ever expecting greater agility. Are your annual planning processes limiting the PMO’s ability to effectively manage portfolios that include new demand, approved work with high levels of uncertainty, carry-over projects, and ongoing work? Not only is this limiting you, but the PMO gets the reputation of being bureaucratic.
Maybe it is time to embrace dynamic continuous planning and be the change in your planning and prioritization process. At Planview, we are helping PMO’s be key leaders in their organizations.
Check out the research and industry viewpoints to help you make the case for continuous planning by visiting The Myth of Planning website and #BeThatPMO! There are videos, analyst research, and links to other helpful information.
Here’s some of the resources you can access for free:
- Continuous Planning Video Series: In this four-part series, I cover why the PMO needs to rethink their role in the organization. I also discuss why the PMO is in the best position to improve communications with the business and force the business to adapt and prioritize projects. Don’t miss this series to learn key questions your portfolio should answer and gain insight into steps you can take now to implement a continuous planning process.
- The Myth of Annual Planning is Busted Video:Get a quick overview of why annual planning needs to evolve from a once-a-year project to a continuous, rolling event. Learn how continuous planning can help your business deliver on-time and on-budget. In our video, “The Myth of Annual Planning,” you’ll get the right questions to ask and gain insights into this movement.
- Ventana Research eBook: Are you ready for next-generation business planning? Ventana Research has been benchmarking planning for more than a decade so they understand the changing needs of business and new market demands. Download our “Improve Agility Through Continuous Planning” eBook to get an in-depth look at Ventana’s findings and how to get results faster, consistently, and more reliably – without overcommitting resources.
- IDG Quick Poll: Planning for the Digital Economy: A recent IDG Research Services survey found that less than half of IT leaders report high levels of effectiveness in any one area when it comes to their strategic planning process. Download the IDG Quick Poll: Planning for the Digital Economy to overcome your strategic planning challenges so you can embrace and support continuous planning.
- Cengage Learning Case Study: Discover how Cengage Learning moved beyond managing its projects and resources via large and complex spreadsheets that made it virtually impossible to accurately forecast capacity. Cengage Learning chose Planview Enterprise and renamed it “PLANit” for the company’s end-to-end project and resource management solution. Download the case study to see how Cengage Learning has integrated the planning and execution stages of product delivery.
I hope you find the website helpful. Are you working on moving to a continuous planning process? What are some of your challenges? Share by leaving a comment below.