A common misconception about ideation software is that it’s exclusively for innovation departments to use to generate breakthrough products and services. It is called “innovation” software after all, right?
While that is one of its use cases, the reality is it can be used for so much more.
Software solutions that power ideation programs around the world are continuing to evolve and expand in capabilities opening the door for other business units beyond the innovation department – from HR to product marketing and for use cases such as improving customer experience and developing new products.
Based on in-depth customer research we conducted, which you can read more about in our 2017 Business Innovation Report, it’s clear that ideation isn’t a siloed initiative any longer. In fact, it’s shattering those once established silos and creating an environment where collaboration is solving business challenges across the company faster than before.
Take a look at the following image:
There are a few things we can extract from the chart:
- It isn’t just the innovation department running ideation challenges. Ideation is touching many areas of a business.
- Groups that sit near the practice of innovation and new technology —Innovation (58%), Technology/IT (48%), and Operations (46%)— tend to be the primary sponsoring groups.
- But every business unit has a need for fresh ideas and thus a hand in sponsorship. Having specialized knowledge in ideation isn’t required – anyone can do it. The business area only needs a goal to solve for and an employee, partner, or customer audience to source potential solutions from.
So, what does this all mean?
It means ideation software is quickly becoming the go-to option for companies – in all industries and geographical locations – who want to identify solutions to business challenges, such as:
- Reducing customer churn
- Streamlining operational efficiencies to boost productivity
- Creating a better customer experience
The ability to easily tap into the collective intelligence of employees across business units, for example, is invaluable. And there are plenty of companies reaping the benefits as a result.
The use cases for ideation software are vast. It can be used to solve virtually any business challenge a company faces – from reducing customer churn to creating a culture of innovation to decreasing manufacturing time.
This is just a glimpse at one of the interesting insights in the 2017 Business Innovation Report. Download it now to see how the world’s biggest brands harness the collective intelligence of employees, customers, and partners to accelerate innovation.