If you’re an “accidental” project manager, you’re likely familiar with the stress and chaos that can come from being overworked and unorganized. You may have fallen into the role, unsure of what’s expected of you or where to start, and suddenly you’re juggling a million tasks and to-do lists. As a marketer myself, I can relate to the hectic process of managing writers, external contractors, and rallying internal experts to fulfill content development requests for everything from blog content to product releases. It’s a simple fact that when you’re trying to keep up with too many things at once, timelines, quality, and costs will be negatively affected. No one wants that. Interestingly, work inefficiencies result in 45 working days a year wasted. That’s a lot of time (and money) lost to a problem that can be fixed with something as streamlined and intuitive as a task management app. But first, here are a few tips to help manage teams and get work done.
Restore the harmony and start getting things done.
- It doesn’t have to be all up to you. Collaboration is key if you want to keep a project moving without unnecessary bumps in the road from an overworked team member. Share responsibilities, and everyone’s life (especially yours) will get a lot easier.
- What’s the end goal? Make sure the whole team knows where they’re headed and how they’re going to get there. Having a bird’s eye view not only keeps them happy, but helps you stay organized.
- Prioritize and delegate! Don’t take on all the work for yourself; that’s the best way to get overwhelmed quickly and lose track of project goals in all the panic. Focus on the most important tasks, and ask for help when you need it.
- Keep stakeholders informed. A cloud-based task management app is an excellent way to accomplish this, since people work on different schedules in places all over the world. Stakeholders can keep track of progress without needing you to babysit them—which lets you get back to your own pressing tasks.
- Move your projects online. A collaborative online workspace helps establish that community feel—anywhere, anytime. Keeping things digital allows you better control and keeps things moving efficiently.
Work smarter, not harder! Eliminate unnecessary confusion, create a structure to your workflow, get the team involved and collaborate, and things will run smoother than ever. For more information about how you can kick workplace inefficiencies to the curb, download the whitepaper, How to Stop Juggling Too Many Tasks, then check out the full eBook, Survival Guide for Successful Collaborative Work Management, and get started on reducing the chaos in your life.
Content contributor: Rositsa Gencheva