As we look back on the successes and set goals in 2013, I wanted to share the seven most popular PMO resources of 2012 for your reference. This compilation of articles, analyst reports, and white papers cover a range of topics including resource planning, building and managing an innovation portfolio, a look at the current PPM landscape, and much more.
- Ten Proven Military Strategies for Better Resource Planning by Jerry Manas
Nowhere is there a richer source of strategies and tactics for how to apply limited human resources than in military history. In his latest white paper, best-selling business author, Jerry Manas, outlines 10 timeless military strategies that can be effectively applied toward modern day resource planning. Find out how lessons learned from Custer’s Last Stand, Napoleon, and the ancient Chinese are as relevant today as they were then.
- Improving Information Technology Across the English Channel with Planview Enterprise
Find out how the Eurotunnel Group is using Planview’s PPM application to enhance the performance of their IT Group to improve business processes, transparency, and to manage costs.
- Building and Managing an Innovation Portfolio
IT plays a key role in driving innovation in your company’s products and services as well as the way it conducts business. Here’s an opportunity to hear from a panel of industry experts as they share best practices for supporting innovation and exploiting great ideas to grow and change the business.
- Sustained Innovation Propels the Business Engine
This timely research report, written by Chip Gliedman, vice president and principal analyst serving CIO professionals at Forrester Research, Inc. follows the innovation portfolio discussion mentioned above. Chip provides his perspective on the role of the CIO in their organization’s innovation ecosystem and the key role the CIO plays in building and maintaining a sustainable innovation process.
- The Cloud as Data-Center Extension
Stacy Cenis, IT project manager for Multnomah County, is featured in this recent article that explains the benefits of switching to cloud-hosted versions of critical business applications and the associated benefits including the significant savings of valuable resources, time and money, that come as a result of taking advantage of “platform-as-a-service” solutions.
- The End of the World? 5 Bigger Things Your PMO Should be Worried About
The world did not end on December 21st as the Mayan calendar may have led you to believe. Instead your PMO could be seeing the beginning of its demise. Did you know that 75% of PMO’s are dissolved within the first 3 years of starting? Don’t let this happen to your PMO! Listen in to learn the top 5 priorities for the PMO to start the New Year off on the right foot.
- 2012 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Integrated IT Portfolio Analysis Applications
Access the report to learn why Gartner says, “Integrated visibility across different IT silos or domains can bring their often unique perspectives to the table to enhance capital and strategic IT investment prioritization and decision making for a CIO, an IT steering committee, a governance board or council, or an IT PMO.”
Let’s Continue the Conversation
Connect with us and other PPM industry professionals that keep the conversation going online everyday:
- Join the active community of “Project Managers On Twitter” by following the hashtag #pmot and participate in #PMChat , a weekly chat for project managers every Friday at 12 pm EST
- Stay tuned to Portfolio Perspectives for details and findings of the very first Resource Management and Capacity Planning Benchmark Study scheduled to be published Q1 2013 by Appleseed Partners.
We want to hear from you. What resources did you find beneficial this last year and why? Did you find a particular blog or piece of content valuable that didn’t make the list? Tell us what it is by continuing the conversation in the comments section below.